With so much manufacturing happening outside the United States, it’s become a serious challenge to find really cool gifts that are also made in this country. Fortunately, there’s a great site called True to US, where they feature a curated collection of great US Made products you’ll be proud to give as gifts while also supporting American craftsmen and small businesses.
“I’ve had the idea of working with Made in America craftsmen and manufacturers for quite a while,” says John Ruggieri from True to US. He comes from a major luxury brand background, working with such names as Gucci and Barneys New York, so he knows great products when he sees them. ”With almost all the retailers I have worked with, the idea of Made in America wasn’t important to most. At the higher end, it was more important to buy and develop product in Europe than here in America. At the middle to lower end, it wasn’t even a discussion — the far-east was where you produced to get the best price.”
Studies and news reports show, Americans don’t actually own many US-made products, but it seems the t ide is changing. As Ruggieri observes, “I think the ‘great recession’ has been a wake up call to many of us. While we all enjoy the things we own, we are now more aware of the impact our own purchasing patterns can make on the US economy. As a nation, we can help ourselves by helping small craftsmen and manufacturers grow and prosper. The bigger they become, the stronger we become.”
Sounds great to us, so with that in mind, here are Ruggieri’s picks for 10 gifts for women–all made in the USA we love.
1) 18K Gold Vermeil Diamond Arrow Necklace By Avindy Jewelry Price: $158With a 17″ chain and lobster claw closure, we love this hand carved arrow in 18K gold vermeil with diamond on a delicate gold filled chain. Hand made in Georgia
2) Cabochon Glass Wild Persimmon Scented Candle By Mine Design Price: $35
Hand poured in California, 40+ hours burn time This beautiful pressed glass vessel holds an inviting scent that is lusciously sweet but mellow. Made from 100% clean burning, US grown soy wax. The Cabochon vessel is actually a drinking glass made in the US by a triple generation glass pressing company. Each glass is hand pressed and a milk finish is applied for a stunning effect. All Mine Design candle vessels are meant to be repurposed. Simply wash the glass with soap and water when the life of the candle is finished. Enjoy the glass for years to come.
3) Still Life Antique Gold Evergreen Elm Drop Earrings Price: $48
Made in California These exquisite earrings are a beautiful combination of nature’s finest materials- These striking earrings are made with hand harvested Evergreen Elm leaves in a 7 hour long process and dipped in 24 K gold. Made in California.
4) Easy As Pie Gift Set By Easy as Pie Gift Set Price Price $98 Made in the USA. For the beginner or for the pro, this gift set of a few of our favorite kitchen items will make this gifting decision “easy as pie”! Included are a Moonspoon cherry Pie Server and a 13″ stirring spoon; a Vermont Rolling Pins 13″ cherry french rolling pin; all tucked in to a Studiopatro “Easy as Pie” linen tea towel. (sorry, pie not included!)
5) Snowflake Fused Glass Coaster Set By Kiku Handmade Fused Glass Price: $60
Made in Illinois A True to US exclusive, designed our friends at Kiku Handmade Glass! This set of 4 coasters is made of fused glass with the screened art trapped inside the glass so it won’t wear with use. These coasters are meant to be used and enjoyed for years to come. The set includes two snow white coasters and two aqua coasters- the colors of snow and ice. Four different snowflake patterns. Beautifully packages with our signature red and white stripe grosgrain ribbon.
6) Arboretum Collection Shower Gel and Parfum Crema Gift Set By Margot Elena Library of Flowers Price: $40
Shower Gel 16 fl oz, Parfum Crema 2.5 oz. Made in the USA The Shower Gel transforms dull skin with deep cleansing extracts that replenish vital moisture as they purify. The Parfum Crema completes the experience as a triple-scented perfume alternative. The Parfum Crema is one of Oprah’s favorites beauty items this spring and will surely become a favorite gift this season. Packaged in our signature gift box. Available in 3 wonderful scents.
7) 1920’s Check Merino Wool Machine Washable Throw By Faribault Woolen Mill Co. Price: $155
Permanently moth-proofed Made in Minnesota This beautiful merino wool throw is perfect for all those cold winter evenings curled up in front of the fire reading that new, can’t-put-it-down novel. It’s made of 100% fife loomed merino wool-very soft, very durable. The best thing is that its machine washable and dryable. So don’t worry about that hot cocoa! Cream ground with gray/slate check pattern.
8) Linden Hand Creme and Soap Gift Set By Margot Elena Library of Flowers Price: $32
Top note: Linden Blossom Middle note: Narcissus Bottom note: Clover Honey Based in ultra rich Shea Butter each delivers deep hydration to parched skin. The result is skin that irresistibly soft and sublimely scented. Beautifully packaged in our signature gift box.
9) Icy Pine Martini Glass Set Of 2 By Rolf Glass Price: $30 Made in Pennsylvania Celebrate in high style with these beautifully crafted martini glasses featuring contrasting cut and polished pine needle motif.
10) Potting Shed Creations Organic Basil Grow Pot By The Potting Shed Creations Price: $12
Made in Indiana. Give a bit of spring indoor to the favorite cook on your list. Beautifully packaged in a hand crafted bamboo box, the kit contains USDA organic Basil, OMRI listed soil and growing instructions. The all-natural lacquered lid inverts to become the pot saucer. Pair this with our Basil Fork Herb Garden Marker for an added treat! **Also comes available in Mint, Oregano and Parsley