When it comes to eating healthy, it’s all a balancing act. Salads are great, whole grains are good, and plenty of water is a must, but every now and then you have to throw caution to the wind and be just a little bad.
Whether you’re ordering a second round of drinks or getting regular dressing instead of the fat-free version, it’s a great feeling to indulge sometimes — and nothing says indulgence like fried food items.
French fries, breaded chicken, and even donuts all have a common theme: They’re deep fried to crispy perfection. Staying with the whole balance thing, however, we thought we’d offer a recipe that requires just a little bit of frying so it’s still somewhat indulgent but doesn’t undo your whole week’s worth of dieting and exercise.
Zucchini Fritters are a great alternative to carb-heavy potato cakes and don’t require you to have a deep fryer on hand. Just a dash of olive oil on a pan to achieve a golden-brown color is all you really need. Plus, they utilize one of summer’s most abundant vegetables.
So go ahead, have some fried food, with less of the regret.
This following recipe, adapted from Simply Recipes, yields about 12 fritters.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters – Ingredients
- 1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium sized), coarsely grated
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
How to Make It
- After grating the zucchini remove any excess moisture with either a cheese cloth or squeezing with paper towels.
- Salt with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg, zucchinis, flour, scallions and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Combine well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop mounds of batter, two tablespoons each into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook 4-6 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve with sour cream or yogurt.